About the Book Doctor
Welcome to Bay Area Book Doctor! I’m Michelle Richmond–author, educator, and writing coach. During my 20-year writing career, I’ve faced my share of setbacks. Through countless rejections and endless revisions, I persisted and built the writing career I wanted. I feel grateful for the opportunity to live my writing dream, and I started Bay Area Book Doctor to help others live their dreams too. I’m just as passionate about helping other writers as I am about writing.
How do you know you’re in good hands? I’ve published five novels with a major New York publisher, including The Marriage Pact and the New York Times bestseller The Year of Fog, and two award-winning story collections with university presses. My books have been sold in 28 languages, and my latest novel has been optioned to 20th Century Fox. My articles on writing have appeared in Writer’s Digest, The Writers Chronicle, Glimmer Train, and elsewhere.
Teaching: I have taught in the MFA programs in creative writing at the University of San Francisco and California College of the Arts. I’ve also served as Distinguished Visiting Writer at St. Mary’s College of Moraga, Bowling Green State University, and Notre Dame de Namur University, and have taught novel writing for Stanford Continuing Studies. I received an MFA from the University of Miami, where I was a James Michener Fellow.
A Writing Coach can help you finish your novel, stop procrastinating, and recover the creative spark
Are you experiencing writing fatigue? Are you having a hard time getting started? Are you spinning your wheels, struggling to finish your novel?
If so, you may need a writing coach. The good news is, you don’t have to remain stuck. You can finish your novel. You can find your writing rhythm. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to writing success. When you work with me as your writing coach, I’ll listen first, because I believe that asking meaningful questions and truly listening to your answers is the only way to understand the challenges you face as a writer. Once we’ve identified what’s holding you back, or what habits or assumptions are keeping you from living your most productive writing life, I’ll help you to identify specific steps to achieve your writing and publishing goals.
I’ll guide you to a more productive, rewarding, and joyful writing life.
Maybe you think writing is supposed to be hard. Maybe you believe, somewhere deep down, that if you’re not suffering, you’re not really an artist. Maybe you even think creativity and unhappiness are somehow two sides of the same coin. I disagree! Writing can bring you happiness and fulfillment. It can even (gasp) make you money. If you’ve lost your writing joy, I can help you find it. If you’ve lost your mojo, I can help you find that too.
My philosophy as a writing coach
My goal as your personal writing coach is to inspire you and to get you past whatever obstacles are keeping you from doing your best writing. I don’t believe in writer’s block, but I do believe in writer’s fatigue! I’ll help you move past the fatigue, the fear, and the procrastination, so that you can achieve success. What does writing success mean to you? Finishing that novel you started? Creating (and sticking to) a writing practice? Balancing your “day job” and family life with your dream of being a writer? Publishing your book? Becoming better at your craft? Whatever your goals, I’m here to help you reach them.
Why choose me as your coach?
Because I have
- A proven track record as a writer, teacher, and editor
- More than a decade of experience mentoring graduate students
- A wide range of experience in writing and publishing. I’ve published two award-winning story collections and four novels, including an international bestseller. I’ve published with a major New York publishing house, as well as with independent and university presses. I also founded Fiction Attic Press to promote new and emerging writers.
- Understanding: my breakthrough novel happened after I became a mom, while I was working to pay my mortgage in an expensive city, without adequate child care. I know how hard it is to integrate your writing life with your family life and your “day job.” In short, I can help you because I’ve been there, and I understand the challenges you face.
Through coaching, you’ll learn
- How to finish a project, and when to let go
- How to turn small writing steps into big writing successes
- How to balance your writing life with your personal and professional life
- How (and when) to approach agents and editors
- How to handle rejection without losing your steam
- How to choose the best publishing model for your project
Sign up now to begin working with your personal writing coach!
Work one on one with me to become more productive, more focused, and achieve your writing goals.
Writing Coach Inquiry
CoachingWork one-on-one with Michelle to achieve your writing goals
- Are you serious about your writing? Do you want to finally finish your novel, start your memoir, apply to writing residencies, or submit your work for publication? If your answer is yes, then it’s time to consider working with a writing coach. I can help you define your goals, understand where your project fits in to the publishing landscape, meet deadlines, know where and how to submit your work for the greatest chance of success, and more.
- Two one-hour video coaching sessions per month
- A written critique of up to 30 pages of writing per month
- Two personalized coaching emails per month
- During your coaching sessions, we will discuss the writing you submitted and I will answer your questions and guide you toward next steps
- Billed monthly, cancel any time
- I currently have two available slots for monthly coaching to begin in September. Please the contact form to tell me about your needs. I’ll be in touch to schedule a free 15-minute initial consultation so we can discuss what’s best for you.
Elite Coaching Package
Are you a professional seeking to tell your story in a book or blog that will help your personal brand stand out? Are you someone who has an amazing story to tell in the form of a memoir? Are you a novelist who needs help finishing a project? Then my Elite Coaching Program is for you.
The Elite Coaching Program is a six-month, personalized service that includes video or phone coaching sessions, written critique, personalized goal-setting and assignments, and more. With Elite Coaching, you receive the following services and benefits:
- 24 half-hour video or phone coaching sessions
- 24 personalized assignments, provided to you at the beginning of each week
- 48 personalized coaching emails (two per week)
- 12 written critiques of 30 manuscript pages (for a total of 360 pages)
- Accountability to help you stay on track
What is my investment for the Elite Coaching Package?
- $12,000 for six months, payable in six installments of $2,000
- GET ONE MONTH FREE when you pay up front, $10,000 for six months, for a savings of $2,000
How can I sign up for the Elite Coaching Package?
Use the contact form to tell me about your project and your needs. We will set up a free video consultation to determine if we are a good fit for each other. If we are, we will decide on a schedule to begin our work together.
What if you decide we aren’t a good fit?
I want you to be happy and successful! If, after our free consultation, I don’t think we are right for each other, I willl recommend someone who better suits your needs.
What if I change my mind?
You can cancel your monthly payments at any time to end the coaching program. If you purchase the package up front and decide at any time that coaching isn’t right for you, you can cancel and receive a prorated refund, based on how long we have been working together.